Filing a Grievance


Below is the information concerning the procedures for filing a grievance against a Montana attorney. ODC must have the attorney’s full name and any supporting documentation you would like us to review.

We will investigate whether the facts you present constitute a violation of the Montana Rules of Professional Conduct which govern the ethical conduct of Montana attorneys. You will be notified of the disposition of your complaint.

This office does not pursue your legal remedies. If you feel you have legal questions, you should contact a private attorney to advise you. This office cannot give legal advice. The Montana State Bar Referral Service may be able to assist you in locating an attorney. The phone number and address are (406) 449-6577, P.O. Box 577, Helena, MT 59624. There is no fee for this service.

A grievance against an attorney must be submitted in writing, unless prior approval is received in special circumstances. Complete the Grievance Cover Sheet and write a detailed explanation of the reasons you are filing a grievance against the attorney. The forms are available for download below. 

Include as much factual data as possible (i.e. dates, names, phone numbers, amounts of money involved, witnesses, etc.). If possible, organize the information in chronological order. The grievance must be signed by you. Attach copies of any documents or correspondence that will help explain your complaint - do not send any original documents. We will contact you if additional information is needed.

Please mail your completed Grievance Cover Sheet (found below) and supplemental information to: Office of Disciplinary Counsel, P.O. Box 1099, Helena, MT 59624-1099.

Learn More

Attorneys filing a Rule 8.3 Report should refer to the Attorney page for more information.