Applying to Another Jurisdiction

Find Out More

Filing a Rule 8.3 Report with ODC

More information

Responding to ODC Inquiry or Grievance

Find out More



When applying to another jurisdiction they will request a disciplinary statement or disciplinary history from the jurisdictions you are licensed. 

You may request your disciplinary statement by filling out the request form below or by calling our office at 406.442.1648. Please be sure to include your full name, the jurisdiction you applying to, and your current contact information. If you have a contact or admissions person, include their contact information as well. 

Please be advised most jurisdictions require a disciplinary statement within thirty days from the date of your application. 

Request Form

If you have not been contacted by ODC within 3-5 business days, please call our office. 



Pursuant to the Montana Rules of Professional Conduct (MRPC), Rule 8.3, a lawyer who is aware or believes another lawyer has committed a violation of the MRPC that raises a substantial question as to the lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness, or fitness as a lawyer shall inform ODC.

Reports may be made on ODC's grievance cover sheet or by submitting a written report on your letterhead. The report should include any information pertinent to the alleged infraction. ODC will review the report and supporting documentation. 

Upon ODC's determination, a letter will be sent to you as the reporting lawyer and to the implicated lawyer notifying you of the same. If you are unsure if the matter should be reported, you may contact State Bar Counsel or the State Bar Ethics Committee for potential guidance. ODC is unable to render any ethical advice or opinions. 

If the report relates to pending or ongoing litigation, you must use your best judgment as to when the report should be made. It is not required for litigation to be complete before reporting.  You may contact our office with other questions concerning filing a report. 



Anyone can file a grievance against a Montana lawyer. A grievance submitted to ODC is initially considered informal and confidential. This means the grievance is confidential to ODC; however the complainant or you, may disclose the grievance.  ODC will send inquiries to the address on file with the State Bar of Montana. If you would like to update your address with our office, please fill out the form below and click "submit" when finished. 

As a lawyer, you are required to respond pursuant the MRPC, Rule 8.1(b), and the Rules for Lawyer Disciplinary Enforcement, Rule 8A(6). A failure to respond to ODC's inquiry is a ground for discipline.

ODC may accommodate requests for extensions to respond to grievances or requests for additional information. If you would like an extension, fill out the form below and click "submit" when finished. Please include the reason for your request and the amount of time you are seeking. Please note, submitting the request does not automatically equate to approval. Your request has not been approved unless you receive confirmation from our office. 

If you do not hear from our office within 72 hours from the date of your request, please call 406.442.1648.

The aforementioned information relates to informal grievances only. If you have a pending formal Complaint filed with the Montana Supreme Court, you must call to speak with the disciplinary counsel assigned your case, or email them directly with any questions or concerns.

Request an extension